SAFETY AND FACILITIES FOR EQUESTRIANS CONSTITUTION
1. The organisation shall be known as the society for the promotion of Safety and Facilities for Equestrians, and hereinafter referred to as S.A.F.E..
2. S.A.F.E. is a non-profit distributing unincorporated association, affiliated to the British Horse Society, Registered Charity Number 210504. Profits made or interest earned by the association will be used only for the furtherance of the objects of the association set out below. All funds received from charitable trusts and other grant-awarding bodies shall be used solely for the purpose for which the grant was obtained, and for which funds S.A.F.E. shall maintain separate records and audited accounts. Funds received by way of grants for specific purposes shall not be deemed to be for the unique benefit of charities, local and regional authorities, third party contributors, corporations or individuals who donate such funds.
3. The aims of S.A.F.E. shall be:
- The promotion of safe and responsible behaviour by equestrians using public roads, paths, bridleways or other areas in or upon which they are legally entitled to ride, drive or lead horses.
- The lobbying of and negotiation with persons and public or private bodies, companies and authorities for the provision and maintenance of facilities for use by equestrians.
- Where possible the provision, maintenance and repair of bridleways and facilities for the use of equestrians.
4. Membership of the association shall be open to any person upon payment of an annual subscription to be determined at the Annual General Meeting of S.A.F.E.
4A. No part of the subscription shall be refundable, if a person leaves S.A.F.E., for any reason, during their 12-month subscription period.
5. In furtherance of its objectives, but not further or otherwise, S.A.F.E. may:
- Affiliate to other bodies having the same or similar objects;
- Solicit and receive contributions to its funds, whether in the form of grants, donations, legacies, subscriptions, loans or otherwise;
- Invest any monies not immediately required for its purposes in such securities as are for the time being authorised by law;
- Do all such other lawful acts and things as are necessary for the attainment of its objects.
6. S.A.F.E. shall elect from amongst its members the following officers: Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer. Other officers may be appointed if desired. All officers shall hold appointment for a period of one year, but shall be eligible for re-election.
7A. S.A.F.E. may elect committees from amongst its members, and in particular may elect an Action Committee, comprising the Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer and such number of other persons as they think fit. The Action Committee shall meet as often as is necessary and shall be authorised to negotiate, lobby and act in the name of S.A.F.E. and shall be authorised to expend and receive money on S.A.F.E.’s behalf. Until the first Annual General Meeting the founder members of S.A.F.E. shall constitute the Action Committee.
7B. If the post of any officer or ordinary committee member should fall vacant after such an election, the Action Committee shall have the power to fill the vacancy until the succeeding Annual General Meeting.
7C. The Action Committee will be responsible for adopting new policy, codes of practice and rules that affect the organisation of the society.
7D. The Action Committee will have powers to appoint advisers to the Committee as necessary to fulfil its business.
8. The administration of S.A.F.E. shall be vested in:
a) General Meetings
b) Ordinary Meetings
c) Committee Meetings
9. General Meetings
A) An Annual General Meeting shall be held within three months of the end of S.A.F.E.’s financial year, and the business to be transacted shall include:
i) Adoption of the Annual Report and statement of accounts;
ii) Election of officers;
iii) Election of committee members;
B) A Special General Meeting may be called at the direction of the Action Committee or on the written request of two thirds of the members.
C) A note of the business of General Meetings, and giving at least 30 days’ notice of the date, time and place of the meeting shall be sent to all members of SA.F.E. For members with internet access this will be satisfied by directing them to the appropriate information on the SAFE web site, or via e-mail. For those without internet access, the details will be physically transmitted to them.
10. Ordinary Meetings
Ordinary Meetings may be held as often as is necessary, and in particular may be called at the direction of the Action Committee.
11. Voting Rights at Committees and Meetings
a) Meetings will be quorate if 4 persons are present. Each member shall have one vote and all matters shall be decided by the majority of members present and voting.
b) the Chairman (or Acting Chairman) of any meeting shall have a vote and in the event of equality of vote shall have a casting vote.
12. The S.A.F.E. accounts shall be administered by the Treasurer and cheques drawn upon the S.A.F.E. bank account shall be signed by the Treasurer and one other member from amongst those nominated by the Annual General Meeting.
13. Each member of SAFE shall have a joining date. For those who were members prior to 1 April 2019, this shall be 1 April 2019. For members first joining after that date, it shall be the date of their first subscription payment.
13A. The “Due Date” shall be the anniversary of the member’s joining date. Any member whose subscription remains unpaid more than 30 days after the due date shall cease to be a member of S.A.F.E..
13B. Any member who by willful act, default or sufferance is considered by the majority of members of the Action Committee to bring the organisation into disrepute may have his or her membership terminated on the instruction of the Action Committee.
13C. Any person whose membership terminates for any of the above reasons shall forfeit all rights and privileges associated with membership and shall return to S.A.F.E. any badge, card or other symbol of membership with which he or she may have been issued.
14. If, in the event of the dissolution of S.A.F.E. there remains after the satisfaction of its debts and liabilities any property or funds whatsoever, the same shall be transferred to and become the property of the British Horse Society.
15. Adopted by S.A.F.E. at the Annual General Meeting held on 12 February 2020